A lot of people find it hard to decide whether to paint a room, or wallpaper it. This article will give you the pro’s and cons of using wallpaper.
First, Wallpaper – The advantages
Wallpaper may be more expensive than paint but it is available in a huge range of colours, patterns and textures. Luxury wallpaper will be expensive but there are still hundreds of types of wallpaper which are very affordable.
- Wallpaper is available in a huge variety of designs, patterns, and surface finishes.
- There are many ways to attach the wallpaper to your walls which include: paste the wall, paste the paper, and peel and stick. So, it is versatile.
- Wallpaper, and especially the peel-and-stick, can be easily removed and replaced.
- Some types of wallpaper can last for more than 20 years.
- Many types of wallpaper are washable.
- Some types of wallpaper are very durable and can be used for busy areas of your home, offering practicality and easy maintenance.
- Wallpaper can cover uneven walls and hide the defects easily, with little initial preparation. This is a huge advantage over painting.
- Wallpaper can be considered an eco-friendly, since it can be purely manufactured from natural materials, and its adhesives do not contain harmful chemicals.
Now, Wallpaper – The disadvantages
- Wallpaper is generally more expensive than paint.
- Hanging wallpaper poorly is easy. Hanging wallpaper perfectly is a skill. For a seamless, professional finish, always employ a time served tradesman with good references and a solid portfolio of previous work.
- Traditional wallpaper can difficult to maintain and remove.
- The edges may separate from the wall, especially in damp weather, and need to be reattached or pasted. More so if your wallpaper has not been installed by a qualified tradesman.
- Patterns need to be matched and well-aligned together. That requires a good deal of accuracy. Again, a skilled paper hanger will be a big help.
- Wallpaper cannot be applied on raw concrete and textured walls. The surface will need treating and preparation.
- Wallpaper colours can be affected by light and shadow. Parts that are exposed to sunlight daily can fade or lose its vitality or colour.
- The more fragile types of wallpaper may not last more than 5 years. You should check with the manufacturer when you purchase the wallpaper what its expacted lifespan is.